You probably already know the importance of on-page SEO. Optimizing title tags, meta descriptions, headings, trust signals, and internal links can help you rank higher in search engines.
Off-page SEO is more challenging because there are literally thousands of off-page activities that can move your site up the SERPs. From social media to link building, reputation management to guest blogging — off-page SEO is a big field with multitudes of resources available through articles, books, and websites that explore all those activities.
On-Page vs. Off-Page SEO
You can do on-page SEO to help you improve your SERP position by doing various things on your page or post. Things like keywords, anchor tags, meta tags, meta descriptions, page titles, and internal linking fall under this category.
You can improve your SERP position by doing off-site SEO, such as link building, forums, influencer outreach, and content marketing.
Off-page SEO gives search engines a quick look at what other people are saying about your product, service, or website. If you have links from strong, relevant, and authoritative sites, your ranking will improve.
An off-page SEO strategy isn’t just about getting links to your site from anyone; it’s about getting links from the right sources. Moreover, you want to ensure that you’re getting “link juice” from the backlink.
Do-follow links are the only ones that pass the link juice on. As a result, the authority of the linked article, post, or page increases due to the source site accepting and endorsing the link.
There are two types of backlinks: follow and no-follow. They are just links that do not pass any authority from the source to the linked site.
Off-Page SEO Activities
According to our experience, these 11 off-page SEO activities deliver the best results and are the easiest to include:
- Brand Mentions
- Influencer Outreach
- Guest Author
- Broken Link Building
- Social Networking
- Social Bookmarking
- Content Marketing
- Questions & Answers
We’ll talk briefly about each off-page SEO activity below.
- Brand MentionsGoogle Webmaster Trends Analyst Gary Illyes said in 2017 that if you have good content, a few backlinks, and people talking about your brand, you’re doing great.
Search engines can benefit from social mentions by getting a sense of what people are saying about you.
Whenever possible, aim to provide valuable answers to social media audiences to increase brand mentions and build authority and trust.
- CommentingThe traditional way to get more backlinks was to leave a comment on another blog with a link to your website. This was true until Google began to penalize irrelevant comment backlinks because it was abused.
As long as you do it in the right way and with the right audience, blogging and commenting is still valuable, despite what you might think. In this way, you will develop a relationship with the blog owner and other commenters.
Blog comments is a strategy that works well for many. But there are many reasons to keep doing it, despite the potential risks.
- ForumsBuild relationships with the community; you need to add value as well.
Explore forums that deal with your product or services and join discussions that are relevant to them.
Engage with that community, post in the threads, help people with their problems, and offer your advice and suggestions.
It is advisable to create your profile as well as a signature that includes an anchor, so that whenever you comment, your signature displays. Look for forums that offer do-follow links.
- Influencer OutreachBy using Buzzsumo, you can reach out to your niche’s influencers and ask for feedback, quotes, or reviews from well-known experts in the industry. Put some context around their quotes and highlight them in some way.
After the content has been published, ask your audience to share it with their network. People love hearing from influencers about things that matter to them.
This will allow you to establish relationships with influencers and leverage their authority in order to increase your own.
- Guest AuthorSeveral blogs are open for guest posts. It only takes identifying the keyword that is relevant to you and then performing a search on Google as follows:
Keyword + “write for us”
Keyword + “become a contributor”
Keyword + “contribute”
Keyword + “guest blogging”
- Broken Link BuildingUsing broken links as a strategy can be very effective. The objective is to find and contact the owner of resources that have broken links.
If the broken link is on one of your own pages, you could update it, or it could be a broken link on another competitor’s page that you can replace with a link to a similar piece of content.
By doing so, more user experience will be achieved by reducing 404 pages and redirects.
It is common for links to become broken after hosting expires or when site assets are messed up during migration. Typing errors may also cause such errors.
You should choose a reliable web hosting provider and check for spelling mistakes before publishing your website.
- Social NetworkingRecent studies have shown that people spend more time surfing social networking sites now than they did several years ago.
Engaging and leveraging your social networks is a good off-page SEO strategy to increase the reach of your content.
It is more credible for Google to rank content if it receives clicks from multiple IPs, which indicates that multiple users from around the world are accessing the content.
When your content has real-world statistics, then it can be shared across networks, allowing your content to reach a much broader audience.
- Social BookmarkingThe best way to get visitors instantly is through social bookmarking. However, there has been a long debate over whether or not to use it.
- Content MarketingAs with every social media platform, there are specific types of content that are preferred: Instagram prefers photos, YouTube prefers videos, and Facebook and Twitter prefer to express opinions.
By doing this, Google searchers can find your content piece, while YouTube users can find your video.
Always ensure your content is repurposed with your audience in mind, and take advantage of different social networks’ boosts to your advantage.
- Questions & AnswersBuilding your authority on sites like Stack Overflow, Quora, and Yahoo Answers, Google Question Hub can be accomplished via the creation and distribution of great content.
Look for questions relevant to your niche on a high-authority platform and answer them adding value to them.
In your guide on the same topic, provide a link back to your site so visitors will be able to access it.
You need to be careful about the links so that they don’t appear spammy. A properly executed off-page SEO strategy can turn into a game-changer.
- NewslettersInteracting with your audience through a newsletter is a cost-effective option. Include recently published content from your website in your newsletter, as well as some original content. Your newsletter should generally be short, but packed with interesting and relevant information. Additionally, they should be easy to digest.
Send the newsletter based on the local time in your audience’s area. You will get more subscribers if you offer them value, advice, and timely information.
It is important not to send too many newsletters, otherwise, you may start annoying your readers and losing subscribers.
A Final Thought
This is not the end of the list! There are many more areas to explore by yourself. Keep one thing in mind: the more high authority websites you have referring to you and talking about you, the more chance you have to rank higher.